The MGuest Wi-Fi network provides a basic free Internet service. This network does not provide encryption and is not considered secure. Accordingly, the University does not guarantee the privacy, confidentiality, or security of any communications while using this service. You should not use MGuest to send or receive sensitive information. In addition, it is allotted a limited share of network resources and is available on an ‘as available’ basis; the university does not guarantee uninterrupted or error-free service.
The guest network is not intended for use by university faculty, staff, or students when engaging in University-related academic or business activities. For U-M students, faculty, staff, and users from participating “eduroam” educational institutions, the “eduroam” network delivers better performance, allows mobile devices to stay connected, provides security and encryption, and allows access to all U-M resources.
By using this resource, you agree to comply with all relevant University policies, state, and federal laws. Misuse of the network for illegal or inappropriate activities may result in disciplinary or legal action. The University is not responsible for data or content accessed or received via the MGuest network, and is not liable for any injury or loss that results from use of the service.
What are all these networks?
- The network (SSID) eduroam is a secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. This allows students, researchers, and staff from participating institutions to obtain a more secure, faster Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions.
- Setup your Wireless
- This network is designed to automatically configure the wireless settings of personally owned laptops (not phones or tablets) to connect to eduroam. Please do not use this utility if your laptop is owned by the University. If you are having difficulty connecting to eduroam with a University provided laptop please contact the helpdesk.
- Visitors to our campus that do not participate or are unfamiliar with eduroam can gain one day access to Internet Wi-Fi (not local UM-Flint resources such as printers). This is also the connection that devices that cannot support connecting to eduroam will utilize such as gaming consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Wii, Switch), video/informational streaming device (Roku, Amazon Echo/DOT/Fire sticks) and Smart TV’s. These devices must be registered before connecting to MGuest, for help on how to register these devices please click here.
Connecting to MGuest
- In the list of wireless networks available to your device, select MGuest.
- Wait a moment while your system connects. Once it is connected, you will be prompted to enter further information within the web browser to register your connection.
- If you are not prompted automatically, launch your web browser and access any web page to be redirected.
- To connect as a guest user, click the Agree & Connect button.
- You will be redirected to the umflint.edu homepage once connected.
- After your access has been activated, you will have 24-hours of access to MGuest before having to register your connection again.
Faculty and staff members of the University who require assistance with connectingonto the wireless network, please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-762-3123 (option 1) for assistance. If you have an active affiliation with the university and would like to connect your personal computer to our wireless network, please choose the appropriate option below:
- For Windows 7 computers, please click here.
- For Windows 8 computers, please click here.
- For Windows 10 computers, please click here.
- For Macintosh computers, please click here.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)