Before You Begin
Office 365 Education is available for free to students, faculty, and staff who are enrolled at qualifying schools, such as The University of Michigan-Flint.
Office 365 can be installed on up to 5 different devices, including Windows or Macintosh computers and other mobile devices such as tablets. Office 365 includes the latest version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more.
Important Notice: per Microsoft, installing Office 365 is not available for Chromebook, only the online version is available.
For more information on Office 365 Education visit: http://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education
When downloading Office 365 you, the student or faculty/staff member, are creating a relationship directly with Microsoft and any questions regarding the software, service, or license agreement should be handled directly with Microsoft. The ITS Helpdesk can only assist with general questions on signing up and registering.
Important Note on Microsoft Cloud Storage: No protected data, student record data, or personal data should be stored in the cloud storage included with an Office 365 account.
This Quicknote is intended for current students, faculty, and staff who would like to obtain a copy of Office 365 for personal use.
As long as you're a current student, faculty, or staff member at The University of Michigan-Flint, you will be able to use this software. You will need to register using your University of Michigan-Flint email address. (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Registering For Office 365
- Click on the following link to begin the sign-up process: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/office
- Enter your University of Michigan-Flint email address in the field provided (email@example.com).
- Press the Get Started button -- If you encounter an error during this process, please verify the spelling of your email address.
- A registration page will appear. Fill out the registration form and click the Start button when completed.
- Within that registration page, you will see an area that has a verification code, which will be emailed to your University Email.
- You should receive an email from Microsoft within a few minutes after submitting your email address with that code that looks similar to the one pictured below
- Check your email account by navigating to http://email.umich.edu and logging in with your Uniqname and current password.
- You will see another page that says additional information required.
- Click the Next button.
- The next page will ask to validate a phone number and a separate email.
- Click on Set it up now button and complete required actions for each.
- Click on the finish button when you are finished.
- From here, you should now see another page within your web browser, prompting you to install Office onto your computer.
- Please click the Install now button and save the setup program onto your computer. When the installer has downloaded completely, please run this setup program. Follow all on-screen instructions.
Affiliates Leaving the University
For faculty, staff, and students that are leaving the university please note that your Office 365 will deactivate after a period of time. For more specific information please view the official documentation here.
If you encounter issues with receiving the registration email to your UM-Flint account, or if you have general questions, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)
For more information on using Office 365, or if you encounter issues when using this product, please visit the Microsoft support page by clicking here: https://support.office.com/ or call Toll-free: 1-800-865-9408