A blog is a webpage comprised of usually short, frequently updated items and web links. Blogging is a publishing tool that can be used for many purposes such as: traditional journals, personal journals, group discussions, and many combinations in between.
Blogging is for everyone; anyone can create a blog using one of the many free blog hosting sites. ITS provides the University of Michigan-Flint faculty, staff, and student organizations with free blog hosting via http://blogs.umflint.edu.
Creating Blogs at UM-Flint
Any faculty, staff, and student organizations may visit http://blogs.umflint.edu to create a blog. The number of blogs that you can create at this site is not limited, but you should only make a blog if you intend to keep it up to date.
Request a blog:
- Navigate to http://blogs.umflint.edu
- Click Request Your Blog Here and follow the steps.
- Select the Staff/Faculty or Student tab.
- Log in using your Uniqname and current password.
- Fill out the form.
- Click Submit.
This will be prompt you to enter the name of your blog and voila, you're blogging!
Logging into your blog:
- In the address bar of your browser type the web address for your blog with /wp-admin added to the end.
- Example: If your blog address was http://blogs.umflint.edu/myblog, to login to your blog you would go to http://blogs.umflint.edu/myblog/wp-admin.
To create additional blogs:
You must follow the process of requesting a blog to create additional blogs.
If you would like to join the wonderful world of blogging, but need a little more information, there is plenty available. For instructions on creating/editing a blog, try browsing some of the documentation available from WordPress, which can be found by clicking here.
If you have any questions or issues with using the Blog services outlined within this Quicknote, please contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810) 762-3123 (Option 1)