This Quicknote is for the benefit of the faculty, staff, and students on campus who utilize a Mac computer to check their University email.
To follow this Quicknote you will need to have a current affiliation with the University and have access to your campus computing account. You will also need to have an updated OS X version for your Mac.
Note: Tested and completed on the Mail client version 9.3; ITS supports the Mail client built into OS X for Mail version 4.4 or higher.
Setting up Mac Mail with UM-Exchange
- Open the Mail client.
- In the menu bar, click Mail and then Accounts.
- Remove the current Exchange accounts if any are present. Click on the account name and then the '-' symbol to remove the account.
- Click Exchange on the right to add another account.
- Fill in the requested information: Full Name, Email Address, and Password. You will use your University password for this field.
- Click Sign In.
- It may prompt you for access to your Contacts, Reminders, etc. Make sure all of those apps are checked and click Done.
- Close the Internet Accounts window.
- Allow a few minutes for your mailbox to be downloaded. It generally takes between 2-10 minutes, but it may take longer depending on the size of your mailbox.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810) 762-3123 (option 1)