This Quicknote is for the benefit of the faculty, staff, and students on campus who utilize a Mac computer to check their university email.
To follow this Quicknote you will need to have a current affiliation with the university and have access to your LAN account. You will also need to have an updated OS X version for your Mac.
Note: Tested and completed on the Mail client version 9.3; ITS supports the Mail client built into OS X for Mail version 4.4 or higher.
Setting up Mac Mail with UM-Exchange
- In the Mail menu bar, click Mail and then Accounts.
- Remove the current account for Exchange if one is present. Click on the account name and then the '-' symbol to remove the account.
- Click Exchange to add another account.
- Fill in the information for your Full Name, Email Address, and Password. You will use your current password for the password field (for Password Sync'd fac/staff, your UMICH password; for students and non-Sync'd staff, your LAN password).
- Click Create.
- It may prompt you for access to your Contacts, Reminders, etc. Make sure all of those apps are checked and click Done.
- Close out of the "Internet Accounts" window.
- Allow a few minutes for your mailbox to be downloaded. It will take between 2-10 minutes on average, but it may take longer depending on the size of your mailbox.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)