This Quicknote is intended for current faculty and staff who would like to know more about maintaining Advisor Holds and Overrides.
To follow this Quicknote, you will need to have a Banner ID and DUO Authentication for Banner access. To obtain a Banner ID and DUO, please refer to the Quicknote What is Banner?
You may need access to SIS for adding and removing holds; if you do not have an SIS account you will need to request access through the Access Request Form. When using this form, please specify that you need SIS for Advisor Holds.
If you wish to require students to meet with an advisor prior to registering, you must apply an advising hold on each student’s record. This can be done for individual students or for all students within a specified major.
- Open your web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- In the Address or Location field, type https://go.umflint.edu/AdvisorHolds then press Enter (Or click the link directly from this quicknote)
- You will be prompted to log in with your Uniqname and current password
- Click the By Student link to apply holds for individual students (up to 10 at a time) or click the By Major link to apply holds for all students with a specified major
Applying/Releasing Holds by Student in SIS
- In the Department field, click the arrow to display a list of department codes, then select the code for your department
- Press Tab to move to the next item
- Click the Radio Button next to Apply (to apply a hold) or Release (to release a hold)
- Press Tab to move to the next item
- In the Reason field, click the arrow to display a list of reason codes, and click the appropriate code to select it
- Press Tab to move to the next item
- In the Student UMID(s) field, enter the UMID of the student you wish to apply or release a hold for
- If you wish to apply or release holds for more than one student, click the Add UMID button to add additional UMID fields
- Click the Submit button to process the hold(s)
- You will be asked to verify the action (apply or release) and the name of the student you submitted
- If the information displayed is correct, click Continue
- If it is not correct, click Return to the Form and correct the action, student ID, or department
- The message at the top should read, “Transaction Complete; Hold applied for Student Name,” where Student Name is the name of the student you submitted
Applying Holds by Major
- At the Holds menu, select By Major
- Select your Department code, then click the Arrow to display a list of departments
- Select the Major, then click the Arrow to display a list of major codes
- Select Standing, then click the Arrow to display a list of options
- Click the Submit button to process the holds
- You will be asked to confirm your selection
- If the information displayed is correct, click Apply Holds button
- If it is not correct, click Cancel and correct the major or department
- When holds have been applied, the page will display a confirmation including the Student's Name, UMID and the total number of holds applied at the bottom
- To return to the Advisor Holds menu, click the Process more holds button, and press Exit when you are done
If you suspect you have mistakenly applied holds for an incorrect major, contact ITS Helpdesk at (810) 762-3123 immediately and have a ticket placed to reverse the transaction.
Registration Overrides are necessary in order to issue special approval to allow a student to register for a class they are otherwise restricted from due to prerequisites, consent of instructor requirements or waitlists.
An override constitutes signature authority. An instructor may issue an override only for his/her own courses via SIS, or he/she may designate a support staff member to issue the override within Banner.
Issuing Overrides in SIS
- You must first log in to SIS at https://sis.umflint.edu using your Uniqname and current password.
- From the main menu, select Faculty & Advisors.
- From the Faculty & Advisors menu, click Term Selection.
- You will be prompted to select a term. Click the Arrow to display a list of terms and click the appropriate term to select it.
- Then click the Submit button.
- From the Faculty & Advisors menu, select Registration Overrides.
- You will be prompted to select a student. You may enter a student's UMID or a student’s name, then click the Submit button.
- You will be asked to verify the name of the student you selected. Click the Submit button to proceed, or click ID Selection at the bottom of the page to re-enter the ID number.
- The page will display a table with selections for Override Type and Course. Below the overrides table, you will see a list of overrides that have already been issued for the student (if any), followed by the student’s current schedule.
- In the first row of the table, click the Arrow in the Override column to display a list of Override options.
- Select Pre-requisite Override to bypass any and all types of course restrictions (consent of instructor, pre-/co-requisite, or major/level/college/program restriction).
- Select Capacity (Waitlist) Override to allow a student into a course that has been closed due to capacity limitations.
- Select Duplicate Section Override to allow a student to register for multiple sections of the same course.
- Select Override All Restrictions to bypass both course restrictions AND waitlists.
- In the first row of the table, click the Arrow in the Course column to display a list of the courses you are teaching.
- Select the course you wish to allow the student to register for. You may issue overrides only for courses for which you are the primary instructor.
- Click the Submit button to process the override.
- You will be asked to confirm the override you submitted. Click the Submit button to confirm the transaction, or click the Registration Overrides link at the bottom of the page to edit the override and repeat from step 8.
- Once confirmed, you will return to the Permits/Overrides page and see the override you submitted listed under Current Student Overrides. To process another override, click the Menu icon at the top of the page, then click ID Selection and repeat step 5 on.
- When finished, click the Exit icon at the top of the page to log out of SIS.
Issuing Overrides in Banner
- Login to Banner (https://banner.umflint.edu) using your Uniqname and current password.
- In the Search field, type SFASRPO, then press Enter.
- In the key section, enter the student's ID number then enter the Term, and then click Go.
- On the page, you will see any permits/overrides the student already has, followed by the student’s current schedule. Double-click in the first available field under Permit to display a list of overrides. The overrides are described below:
- Select the appropriate Override and click OK to close the list.
- In the CRN field, type the 5-digit course reference number. If you do not know the CRN, type the subject, course number, and section number into the appropriate fields to the right of CRN.
- Click Save in the lower right-hand corner. You will receive a notification in the upper right-hand corner that the override was saved. Click the number on the toolbar to acknowledge the notification. This should close the window.
- To issue another permit/override, click Start Over in the upper right-hand corner and repeat from step 3.
- When finished, click X to close the page. Click Sign Out to log out of Banner.
Any issues regarding registration, holds, or overrides can be directed to the Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion. Visit their website here, or contact them via phone at 810-762-3344 and email at email@example.com.
General questions regarding login issues or the navigation of Banner and SIS can be directed to the ITS Helpdesk.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810) 762-3123 (option 1)