This Quicknote will explain how to better utilize Banner as a tool for searching information about users that are affiliated with the University.
- Please open Banner by going to https://banner.umflint.edu
- Log in to Banner using your Uniqname, Lan Password, and DUO Authentication.
This Quicknote is for the benefit of the faculty and staff on campus who regularly use Banner 8.
To follow this Quicknote you will need to have access to Banner. If you do not have Banner access yet please refer to the Quicknote “What is Banner?”
ID Search in Banner:
- To find a person in any Banner form you may enter a person’s ID in the "ID:" field of the key block.
- You may enter either, their UMID, Social Security Number, or Generated ID (a G number). If you can’t find a person by using one (or all) of their IDs then you will need to perform a name search.
- Banner searches look for exact matches. Partial names can be entered with the use of the wildcard. In Banner the % is used as a wildcard to represent missing characters.
Name Search Using Banner:
In any Banner form, you may enter a person’s name in the key block.
- Press <Tab> to place your cursor in the "Name:" field next to the "ID:" field.
- Enter the name.
- You may type the last name only (e.g. Hoover) or the first 3-5 characters followed by %. Use % in place of unknown characters (e.g. for McAvoy, try M%voy) or last name, first name (e.g. Smith, Dan%).
- Press <Tab> to verify the name.
- If an exact match is found, the ID number will appear in the "ID:" field.
- If multiple matches are found, a new search window like the one below will display, allowing you to specify further criteria to narrow your search. Click the thumbnail below for a larger image
How to Narrow Your Search Results:
You may now narrow your search results by entering any of the following known criteria: City, State, ZIP/PC, Date of Birth, or Gender.
- Fill in one or more of the fields to narrow your search results and click the Reduce Search Button located on the right side of the window
- State and Province codes can be looked up by using the pull-down menu for the State or Province field. Zip and Postal codes can be looked up by using the pull-down menu for the ZIP or Postal Code field.
- The number in the top right corner now reflects the number of results for your reduced search and the pull-down menu will show you the reduced list of results.
- If you want to cancel a query click the Cancel Query button located on the right side of the window.
- Repeat step 1 until there is only one search result or until you locate the desired person in the Search Results pull-down menu. Use the pull-down menu to select the person you are searching for and the record will open in the form you began your search from.
Name Search Using SOAIDEN:
If you prefer to use the name search form (SOAIDEN) click the down arrow next to the Name: field in any Banner form.
- When prompted choose Person Search.
- Enter the name.
- You may type the last name only (e.g. Hoover) or the first 3-5 characters followed by %. Use the "%" symbol in place of unknown characters (e.g. for McAvoy, try M%voy) or last name, first name (e.g. Smith, Dan%).
- Note* make sure to search with last and first name in their respective fields.
- Click Execute on the top toolbar or press F8.
- Compare name and/or birthdate to determine if correct person.
- When the desired person is identified, place cursor in ID: field of desired record and double-click.
- The selected record will now appear in the form from which you began your search.
If what you are looking for is not found here and someone in your department can not provide you with your department's procedure for the task, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)