As a student or employee at the University of Michigan-Flint, you are required to use a number of passwords in order to access various computing services. It can be difficult to keep these passwords straight, this Quicknote details what each password is used for and who can provide assistance for each.
Never let anyone else login with your account information.
This Quicknote is intended for current faculty, staff, and students who would like to know more about the various passwords they may be using.
This Quicknote requires you to have a current affiliation with the University.
LAN stands for Local Area Network, and is the most commonly used password on our campus. Please review the Password policies and guidelines at https://www.umflint.edu/its/policies#password.
The LAN password is used in the following situations:
- Logging into any computer on campus.
- Accessing email: http://email.umflint.edu
- Logging into Blackboard for online classes: http://bb.umflint.edu.
- Logging into SIS for course registration, grades, Financial Aid, and transcripts: https://sis.umflint.edu.
- Logging into Banner for Faculty and Staff only: https://banner.umflint.edu.
- An Access Request and training for Banner must be completed before access can be granted to the banner system. For information on access or training please visit: https://www.umflint.edu/its/its-services-databases#banner.
- Logging into to the Wireless from a personal laptop, smartphone, tablet, or other devices.
- Using the Library Proxy Server to access library periodical or electronic reserves.
- LAN passwords are not used for the Mirlyn or Inter Library Loan program; please contact the library for assistance with logging into these programs.
- Accessing the UM-Flint VPN service.
- If students, faculty, or staff have difficulty with their LAN password, the ITS Helpdesk is able to answer questions or change this password for you.
Ann Arbor UMICH (Formerly known as Kerberos) Password:
This password is usually associated with any computing service involving the Ann Arbor campus. Ann Arbor passwords can also be referred to as UMICH passwords. It is used in the following situations:
- Library resources including MIRLYN, MIRLYNweb, and the Inter Library Loan program.
- Accessing M-Stores in Ann Arbor (employees only).
- Accessing MComunity
- For more information about MCommunity, see the additional information section down below.
- Using M+Box
- For more information about M+Box, see the additional information section down below.
- Using M+Google Drive
- For more information about M+Google Drive, see the additional information section down below.
- Accessing and using Wolverine Access.
- Other resources available on UM-Ann Arbor websites.
- For general information about UMICH Passwords, and how to set them, see the additional information section down below.
- UMICH Password - Usage, Restrictions, and How to Change it
- What is the MCommunity Online Directory
- M+Box: General Information
- M+Google Drive: General Information
For help with any of your passwords, or if you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, you can come to the ITS Helpdesk in person with a government issued photo ID, or call for assistance over the phone.
Our contact information is as follows:
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (Option 1)
For help with UMICH passwords, you can contact Ann Arbor's ITS Service Center for assistance.
Their information is as follows: