As a student or employee of the University of Michigan-Flint, you are required to use a number of passwords in order to access various computing services. It can be difficult to keep these passwords straight, so this Quicknote explains what each password is used for and who can help you with them.
Never let anyone else login with your account information.
This Quicknote is intended for current faculty, staff, and students who would like to know more about the various passwords they may be using.
This Quicknote requires you to have a current affiliation with the university.
LAN stands for Local Area Network, and is the most commonly used password on our campus. Please review the Password policies and guidelines at https://www.umflint.edu/its/policies#password.
The LAN password is used in the following situations:
- Logging into any computer on campus.
- Accessing email: http://email.umflint.edu
- Logging into Blackboard for online classes: http://bb.umflint.edu.
- Logging into SIS for course registration, grades, Financial Aid, and transcripts: https://sis.umflint.edu.
- Logging into Banner for Faculty and Staff only: https://banner.umflint.edu.
- An Access Request and training for Banner must be completed before access can be granted to the banner system. For information on access or training please visit: https://www.umflint.edu/its/its-services-databases#banner.
- Logging into to the Wireless from a personal laptop, smartphone, tablet, or other device.
- Using the Library Proxy Server to access library periodical or electronic reserves.
- LAN passwords are not used for the Mirlyn or Inter Library Loan program; please contact the library for assistance with logging into these programs.
If students, faculty, or staff have difficulty with their LAN password, the ITS Helpdesk is able to answer questions or change this password for you.
Ann Arbor UMICH (Formerly known as Kerberos) Password:
This password is usually associated with any computing service involving the Ann Arbor campus. Ann Arbor passwords can also be referred to as UMICH passwords. It is used in the following situations:
- Accessing and editing your U-M Online Directory entry.
- Library resources including MIRLYN, MIRLYNweb, and the Inter Library Loan program.
- Accessing M-Stores in Ann Arbor (employees only).
- Other resources available on UM-Ann Arbor websites.
- Accessing and using Wolverine Access.
- Any difficulties with Ann Arbor (UMICH) passwords must be addressed in the Helpdesk.
For help with any of your passwords, or if you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, you can come to the ITS Helpdesk in person with a goverment issued photo ID, or call us so we can assist over the phone.
Our contact information is as follows:
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)