This Quicknote will allow you to create a My Documents folder on your H: Drive. Please note that this procedure outlined in this document is computer-specific. The process will need to be done manually on each computer you use in order to link the Documents area to the same location (your H: Drive) across multiple machines.
This Quicknote is intended for current faculty, staff, and students who would like to save their My Documents folder to their H: Drive.
In order to complete the directions detailed below you must be logged into a computer on-campus running Windows 7. You will also need an active LAN account with access to your H: Drive.
Directing the “My Documents” folder to your H: Drive:
- Log-in to a computer on campus.
- Click Start, then click Computer.
- Select the drop down arrow next to Documents from the menu that appears; then right click My Documents and click Properties.
- A My Documents Properties window will appear. Make sure that the Location tab is selected.
- In the text box please type in H:\My Documents\ exactly as shown below.
- Click OK. If this is the first time you have followed the steps in this Quicknote a message will pop up asking you if you would like to create the folder, Click Yes.
- You will then receive a message asking you if you would like to move all of the files currently contained in My Documents to the new location. Click Yes.
Your My Documents folder is now located on your H drive. Any files you have saved to My Documents previously or in the future will now be accessible to you from any computer that can access your H drive.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)