This guide is intended to help connect personal Mac computers onto the campus wireless network. This Quicknote is for the benefit of the affiliates and guests of the University of Michigan-Flint. If you are attempting to connect University-owned domain machines, please consult the ITS Helpdesk in either 206 MSB or 3174 WSW for assistance.
To connect to the campus wireless network, you will need to know your uniqname and current password. The instructions within this guide are designed for OSX 10.6.X through 10.13.X.
What are all these networks?
- The network (SSID) eduroam is a secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. This allows students, researchers, and staff from participating institutions to obtain a more secure, faster Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions.
- Setup your Wireless
- This network is designed to automatically configure the wireless settings of personally owned laptops (not phones or tablets) to connect to eduroam. Please do not use this utility if your laptop is owned by the university. If you are having difficulty connecting to eduroam with a university provided laptop please contact the helpdesk.
- Visitors to our campus that do not participate or are unfamiliar with eduroam can gain one day access to Internet Wi-Fi (not local UM-Flint resources such as printers). This is also the connection that devices that cannot support connecting to eduroam will utilize such as gaming consoles (Xbox, Play Stations Wii), video/informational streaming device (Roku, Amazon Echo/DOT/Fire sticks) and Smart TV’s. These devices must be registered before connecting to MGuest, for help on how to register these devices please click here.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
To connect your personal laptop to eduroam please connect to Setup your Wireless, open a browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), and follow the prompts provided.
If Setup your Wireless does not work for your device please try the appropriate steps below.
Table of Contents
Manually Configuring eduroam on OSXClick here for Video Assistance
- In the top bar click the wireless icon. This is typically found in the top right near the clock.
- Click Join Other Network.
- In the new dialog box next to Network Name type: eduroam.
- For the security type, select WPA2 Enterprise.
- Next to Username type <your uniqname>@umflint.edu.
- Next to password type your current password.
- Check Remember this Network.
- Click Join.
- In the Verify Certificate message box click show certificate.
- Confirm that the box next to Always trust pf.umflint.edu is checked.
- Click Continue.
- Type your computer password in the new message box.
- Click Update Settings to make changes to the Certificate Trust Settings.
- Wait while the computer connects.
Your computer should now be connected to the eduroam; wireless network on campus.
Faculty and staff members of the University who require assistance with connecting University owned machines onto the wireless network, please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-762-3123 (Option 1) for assistance.
If you would like to have temporary access to the wireless network on campus, please connect to MGuest. For future information regarding this process, please Click Here.
If you are unable to connect your device to the wireless network on campus and have any questions or experience issues with this Quicknote, please contact the ITS Helpdesk:
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone: (810) 762-3123 (Option 1)