This guide is intended to help connect personal Macintosh computers to the campus wireless network. If you are attempting to connect university-owned domain machines, please consult the ITS Helpdesk in either 206 MSB or 3174 WSW for assistance.
To connect to the campus wireless network, you will need to know your uniqname and LAN password. The instructions within this guide are designed for OSX 10.6.x through 10.12.x.
What are all these networks?
- The network (SSID) eduroam is a secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. This allows students, researchers, and staff from participating institutions to obtain internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions.
- Setup your Wireless
- This is only to help people with Laptops (not phones or tablets) get automatically configured properly to connect to eduroam. If you have a university-owned laptop DO NOT use Setup your Wireless.
- Every Wi-Fi device owned by NON-UM-Flint affiliates can gain one day access to Wi-Fi. Also, once game consoles are registered, they can connect to MGuest for one year. Game consoles can never connect to the eduroam wireless networks because of the advanced security used.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
To connect your personal laptop to eduroam please connect to Setup your Wireless, open a browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), and follow the prompts provided.
If Setup your Wireless does not work for your device please try the appropriate steps below.
Table of Contents
Manually Configuring eduroam on OSXClick here for Video Assistance
- In the top bar click the wireless icon. This is typically found in the top right near the clock
- Click Join Other Network
- In the new dialog box next to Network Name type: eduroam
- For the security type, select WPA2 Enterprise
- Next to Username type <your uniqname>@umflint.edu
- Next to password type your LAN password
- Check Remember this Network
- Click Join
- In the Verify Certificate message box click show certificate
- Confirm that the box next to Always trust pf.umflint.edu is checked
- Click Continue
- Type your computer password in the new message box
- Click Update Settings to make changes to the Certificate Trust Settings
- Wait while the computer connects.
Your computer should now be connected to the “eduroam” wireless network on campus.
If you are unable to connect your device to the wireless network on campus, please stop by the helpdesk with the device for assistance.
Locations: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
Phone#: (810)-762-3123 (option 1)
Faculty and staff members of the university who require assistance with connecting university-owned domain machines onto the wireless network, please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-762-3123 for assistance.
If you would like to have temporary access to the wireless network on campus, please connect to MGuest. For future information regarding this process, please click here.